RE: mouse-yank-primary and bug #7699

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: mouse-yank-primary and bug #7699
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 07:11:38 -0800

> > Wrt setting `select-active-regions': That variable (new in
> > Emacs 23) has very poor documentation (see bug #7702), but
> > from what I can tell from the doc it should have _no
> > effect at all_ on Emacs for Windows, because the latter
> > does not have a primary selection.
>
> Not entirely true: the Windows port emulates the primary selection
> within the same Emacs session.  So customizing that option should make
> active regions available for pasting with mouse-2 on Windows as well,
> but only if you paste in the same Emacs session.

That confirms what I said about the doc.  Nothing is said in the doc about this
emulation etc.

What this var does on a system where there is no primary selection is undefined
in the doc.  And the proviso about "same session" signifies a difference that
should also be pointed out as part of the description.