Re: mouse-yank-primary and bug #7699

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: mouse-yank-primary and bug #7699
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 21:37:46 +0000

On 22/12/10 19:23, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 15:38:20 +0000
>> From: David De La Harpe Golden<address@hidden>
>> CC: Djärv<address@hidden>, address@hidden
>>
>> Putting the call to w32 x-get-selection-value into mouse-yank-primary
>> was pretty much where the "making it a zombie version of the old
>> binding" remark was arising from.
>
> No, it wasn't.  It was to fix a bug.

It was a remark I just made. Whether you've unleashed the zombie plague to get your girlfriend back or to conquer Venus, you've still unleashed the zombie plague.

> And yes, I know: the resulting behavior is not as clean on w32 as it
> is on X, but given the lack of selections, I think that it's as good
> as it gets.

Well, please don't assert that just changing mouse-drag-copy-region without changing the mouse-2 binding is actually sufficient to restore old behaviour on w32. If you did assert that, anyway (Miss, Drew said Eli said...). If even after all my explanations you and/or Drew genuinely think it does restore the old behaviour (rather than causing a different behaviour that may or may not be an acceptable substitute), then well, we're failing to communicate and I just don't think there's much more I can do there on my end.

In any case, I'm now going to look at getting certain remaining selection issues on x11 sorted out (I've just proven to my satisfaction that at least one nasty one that was present back in the summer is still present now), they're rather more important to myself as an x11 emacs user.