Re: mouse-yank-primary and bug #7699

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: mouse-yank-primary and bug #7699
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 22:10:25 +0000

On 22/12/10 19:17, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Thanks.  I know all that.  My question was about this pair of calls on
X, not about Windows.

And hasn't that now been answered?

for x11:

sv = x11 x-get-selection-value
gs = x11 x-get-selection

sv alone :  ok
gs alone:  bad, though [1]
sv then gs:  okayish but pointless: gets to gs but gs will fail [2]
gs then sv:  bad, though [1]

[1] if you were to add a 'TEXT to the gs call, gs would get unicode as 'TEXT is a pseudo data type that tries several. However it would not respect x-select-request-type like sv does, which would still be arguably bad, though less so than just getting a 'STRING would be.

[2] except very rare races? thinking of a selection getting defined between the two calls in emacs, if context switched away after the first...