Re: compilation-start without shell?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: compilation-start without shell?
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 12:07:40 +0100

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
>> Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 04:43:14 +0100
>>
>> Would it be possible to allow compilation start to not use a shell?
>>
>> With some programs it is quite hard to use a shell, at least on w32.
>
> Please describe this problem in more detail, and please give a couple
> of examples.
>
> Not using a shell is one possible solution, but it's hard to reason
> about its merits and demerits without knowing more about the
> problem(s) you are trying to solve.

I tried to get PowerShell scripts working from inside Emacs. That was
quite tricky so I decided to try to bypass the cmd.exe shell by
changing compilation-start the way I suggested.

At least that made debugging a bit easier (though it did not work).

Making the change I suggested can be useful. It is just a few lines
changes. I can send a patch for it.