Re: How and when to use GCPRO?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How and when to use GCPRO?
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 23:15:19 -0500

> Hrm. You learn something every day --- I thought Emacs was doing precise
> GC the way it has since time immemorial.  How much of a win was the
> GC_MARK_STACK conservative scanning approach?

As long as we still support platforms that use GCPROs, it's not a win
at all.  Tho it may have beneficial effects on the performance, I don't
know (it could also be detrimental to performance, by the way, because
of extra work it has to do every time we allocate memory for Lisp
objects in order to later on be able to conservatively tell whether an
integer happens to point to an allocated memory area).

        Stefan