Re: Some OpenWrt port related problems

From: David Kuehling
Subject: Re: Some OpenWrt port related problems
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 22:12:48 +0100

>> OpenWrt packages use cross-compilation, so Emacs is used in a NO_DUMP
>> configuration, loading loadup.el every time it starts.

> That's unfortunate, as this is completely untested and unsupported.  I
> expect you'll bump into further problems.  Maybe a "simpler" solution
> is to setup a simulation environment where you could perform the dump.

Well unfortunate is that Emacs' Makefiles make a number of assumptions
that are completely incompatible with cross-compilation :) Like
compiling and executing the resulting program in a single Makefile rule.
The dumping is even more hackier.  Didn't even know that such a
procedure is possible on current operating systems :)

The problem with a simulated environment, that you're suggesting, is,
that OpenWrt packages (or rather the recipies used to compile a package)
need to be self-contained inside OpenWrt.  If I needed a target system
emulator I'd have to write a recipie how to compile one on any host and
add a build-dependency to it.  Quite some work, and maybe not even
possible in a completely stable way.  Qemu user-space emulation for the
MIPS32 target seems currently broken (at least it doesn't work for me),
so I'd even need to write a rule for how to generate a root-filesystem
to get into a simulated environment.  And that would have to work for
every of the target CPUs that OpenWrt supports :/

>> This causes at least one problem with environment variables, that I
>> already fixed [3].

> Not sure if that's the right fix, but indeed there's a bug there that
> shows up when using NO_DUMP.  Make sure you record it via M-x
> report-emacs-bug.

Going to do that eventually.

>> Now I'm hitting another problem when using org-mode: File mode
>> specification error: (wrong-type-argument stringp (require
>> . t-mouse)) After some debugging this looks like being caused by
>> variable load-history containing the element: ((require . t-mouse))
>> This looks a little broken, since all other elements have a
>> filename-string in front of that cons cell, e.g.:

> That one doesn't remind me of anything.

Hmm, so maybe related to the CANNOT_DUMP config (note: it's not NO_DUMP,
my mistake).

>> Anybody knows who's fault that error is anyways?

> I don't.

>> is ((require . t-mouse)) a valid entry?

> No.

>> Is eval-after-load broken?

> Not that I know.

>> How does that entry get inserted into load-history in the first
>> place?

> That's the question, yes.  But no, I have no idea how this can happen.

Ok, thanks for the answers.  Then it might be time to do some more
in-depth debugging to see where in loadup.el that entry originates.

cheers,

David