Re: DocView now supports OpenDocument & MS Office formats

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: DocView now supports OpenDocument & MS Office formats
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 16:22:38 +0100

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

Hi again,

> Till now, I didn't modify the auto-mode-alist entry of doc-view-mode.
> I think, adding all MS office extensions is ok, cause those are not
> really editable (binary) stuff anyway.  Should I go ahead?
>
> For the OpenDocument formats, I'm not sure.  Basically, those are zip
> archives containing the document contents as XML + images and
> metadata, and it's not totally unreasonable to edit the contents
> directly.  So I guess, that's a corner case like postscript files...

I've now implemented a better fallback mechanism, so that C-c C-c in
doc-view-mode opens the document in whatever mode would be chosen if
doc-view wasn't there (e.g. archive-mode for od[st] docs).  So IMO,
adding all OpenDocument and MS Office file extensions to the
doc-view-mode entry in auto-mode-alist should be fine, now.

Additionally, doc-view-previous-major-mode could be deleted.  That makes
only sense now if the user switched to some other major-mode manually
before enabling doc-view-mode, which seems to be a very unlikely
scenario.

WDYT?

Bye,
Tassilo