Re: DocView now supports OpenDocument & MS Office formats

From: MON KEY
Subject: Re: DocView now supports OpenDocument & MS Office formats
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 17:32:53 -0500

>> Hm, I don't know.  It mostly depends on unoconv, which in turn depends
>> on OO.org.  I have version 0.4 installed here, but at least 0.3 should
>> be fine as well.

> I see.  On my Debian machines (6 year-old Debian testing
> installation which has accumulated pretty much all packages I've
> ever needed during those years), I don't have unoconv installed,
> so I think there's a good chance that many people don't have it
> installed.  This fact I think gives a first answer to "should we
> add .doc and .odt to auto-mode-alist": onlyif unoconv is available.

There is maybe a problem here around promoting unoconv wrt UNO API, e.g:

 unoconv < UNO < OO.org

It may be a bit misleading to give potential users of this feature an
impression that unoconv's dependencies are less than trivial, i.e.:

 "It mostly depends on unoconv, which in turn depends on OO.org."

>From the Uno FAQ:

 2.22 How do I remotely connect to an OpenOffice.org running on a
 different machine?

,----

|  When connecting to an OpenOffice.org you supply an Uno URL, which
|  allows to locate a named Uno object in a different process. A Uno
|  URL consists of four parts:
|
|     * The constant string "uno".
|
|     * A connection specification with optional parameters as
|       key/value pairs.
|
|     * A protocol specification with optional parameters as key/value
|       pairs.
|
|     * The name of the object to be located.
|
|  Those four parts are concatenated to a string
|
|  uno:[connection],params;[protocol],params;[objectname]
|
|  An example Uno URL looks like:
|
|  uno:socket,host=localhost,port=2002;urp;StarOffice.ServiceManager
|
| {...}

`----
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Uno/FAQ#How_do_I_remotely_connect_to_an_OpenOffice.org_running_on_a_different_machine.3F

Isn't this sort of stuff a slippery slope to Software as Service? E.g.:

http://udk.openoffice.org/common/man/spec/remotebridge.html

Recall the recent discussion around software as service and Julien Danjou's GG
maps related interface...

--
/s_P\