Re: Some OpenWrt port related problems

From: David Kuehling
Subject: Re: Some OpenWrt port related problems
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 15:20:58 +0100

> On Dec 29, 2010, at 04:28, David Kuehling wrote:

>> I could dump Emacs in the target system, from a wrapper script, when
>> launched for the first time.  But last time I tried that it failed
>> with insufficient memory (32Mb RAM, no swap), so I'm going without
>> dumping for now.

> It sounds like running Emacs on such a system is going to be pretty
> marginal in any case, but do you recall what part of it failed?
> Finding the doc strings?  The actual dumping?

Ok, just recompiled emacs with dumping support, and running

  $ emacs -Q --batch --eval \
    '(dump-emacs "./demacs" "/usr/bin/emacs")'

on the NanoNote gave me:

  [..]
  Finding pointers to doc strings...
  Finding pointers to doc strings...done
  emacs: Can't allocate buffer for /usr/bin/emacs

So it wants to pull a full copy of the emacs binary into memory?
This problem I can workaround by changing the Linux overcommit setting,
but then dumping fails with another problem:

  $ echo "1" > /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory
  $ emacs -Q --batch --eval \
     '(dump-emacs "./demacs" "/usr/bin/emacs")'

  [..]
  Finding pointers to doc strings...
  Finding pointers to doc strings...done
  emacs: Program segment above .bss in /usr/bin/emacs

So what's that supposed to mean?

cheers,

David