Re: Why is this-command-keys missing?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Why is this-command-keys missing?
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 03:38:51 +0100

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 2:57 AM, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>>     (define-key map "\t" 'compilation-next-error)
>> However if you hit TAB then this-command-keys will contain (something
>> similar to) TAB and not "\t".
>
> For me it does return "\t".
>
>>    (key-binding (this-command-keys) t)
>> to get back the binding that is really active, i.e. compilation-next-error.
>
> It does sound like you're trying to do something that's
> fundamentally unreliable.  Can you explain in more detail why you want
> to know "the binding that is really active"?

I am trying to use orgstruct-mode for a compilation output buffer.
orgstruct-mode binds keys like this:

    ;; Special treatment needed for TAB and RET
    (org-defkey orgstruct-mode-map [(tab)]
                (orgstruct-make-binding 'org-cycle 102 [(tab)] "\C-i"))
    (org-defkey orgstruct-mode-map "\C-i"
                (orgstruct-make-binding 'org-cycle 103 "\C-i" [(tab)]))

This is to make it possible to use TAB for cycling the outlines when
on outline headings.

However I would like to get back the normal TAB handling in the
compilaiton output buffer when not on an outline heading.

However it is a little bit more complicated than that. I bind the key
C-i in an emulation mode map. This now gets called when TAB is hit. I
am trying to find out what was really hit.