Re: Indexed search with grep-like output

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Indexed search with grep-like output
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 21:59:14 -0500

> What I am saying is we could probably do it the other way round: Use
> the same backend for the functionality of locate, id-util and in
> addition free text search.

I have no idea what that means, but I'll assume we agree: have a command
that can run a variety of external tools like `locate', or GNU id, or
Beagle, or ...

If you really mean to provide various commands that all end up running
one particular external tool, then I don't understand why you'd want
that, since AFAICT there is no standard "external search tool" (there
may exist such a thing on some platforms, but we'd want those commands
to work on all platforms, so they'll necessarily need to support various
backends).

        Stefan