DBus methods without name grabbing

From: Jan Moringen
Subject: DBus methods without name grabbing
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 22:06:04 +0100

Hi,

recently I ran into the following DBus-related problem: In order to
write a telepathy client [1], it is required to provide a certain
DBus-Interface under a special well-known name. Some telepathy component
seems to start calling methods immediately after the well-known name is
taken. Since the interface consists of multiple methods/properties, it
cannot be ensured that the interface is completely available when the
name is taken and the first calls are made using Emacs' current
DBus-interface. This is due to the fact that the function
`dbus-register-method' immediately takes the name.

To allow Emacs to work with this kind of DBus-interfaces, I suggest the
changes implemented in the attached patch. I don't known the Emacs C
code well very well, so it probably needs revision.

An example for which this change is necessary can be found in the
function `telepathy-client-register' in the attached file client.el from
my telepathy bindings.

Do you think this patch could be applied?

Kind regards,
Jan

[1] http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec/Client.html