Re: bug#7517: 24.0.50; repeated crash under Mac OS X

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bug#7517: 24.0.50; repeated crash under Mac OS X
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 00:08:50 +0200

> Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 20:43:17 +0000
> From: Uday S Reddy <address@hidden>
> Cc: Uday S Reddy <address@hidden>,
>     address@hidden,
>     address@hidden
>
> > The only subtlety here is that iso-8859-8-i is a coding-system-alias
> > of iso-8859-8.  Does that help to resolve the issue?
>
> I have now given up on using the mime-charset property to search for
> coding systems because of the too many aliases going on.  However, it
> seems that all the coding systems have aliases that correspond to MIME
> charset names.  So, I am using that to find the right coding system.

Why, doesn't

   (coding-system-get FOO :mime-charset)

work for you, or isn't TRT in this case?

> However, OP reports that the frame title says "bad coding" or some
> such incantation, even though the buffer name shows up correctly
> inside Emacs.  Perhaps it is a problem in the interface between Emacs
> and the OS?

No, that's our way to defend ourselves against buffer names that are
unibyte strings, to avoid a crash that was the trigger for this bug.
If the unibyte buffer name is now solved, the "bad coding" text will
never show up.