Re: DocView now supports OpenDocument & MS Office formats

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: DocView now supports OpenDocument & MS Office formats
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 06:58:19 -0500

> From: Tassilo Horn <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 10:00:14 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Personally, I generally dislike features that require me to install
> > gazillions of other packages.  But that's me; the world seems to move
> > in the opposite direction.
>
> Well, I tend to agree.  But OTOH, implementing the wheel again from
> scratch and using up gazillion hours of man-power to somehow keep up
> with existing free tools (like OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice, KOffice) just
> to have it in Emacs is not a real alternative.

Yes, and OTTH, you install a package, which tells you it needs another
package, which then tells you need yet another, which tells you it
doesn't support your version of the kernel, etc. etc, until eventually
you end up wasting many hours upgrading a large portion of your
well-tuned system, destabilizing it in the process with the bleeding
edge.

But I digress.