Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 02:46:49 +0100

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 2:01 AM, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
>> M-TAB ... does not work on w32 if you have META on the
>> Alt key - which is default and actually the only reliable
>> choice in the current (unpatched) Emacs.
>
> Lennart, you keep saying that here and there.
> But you've never backed up that claim, AFAICT.

Yes, I think have with references to the documentation on ms site.
(But don't ask me where, it was quite a while ago.)

> Here's a typical example (see also the two followups for your complete claim):
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2010-03/msg00063.html
>
> You keep telling users that they cannot use `M-TAB' on Windows, but it is
> simple
> for a user to have `M-TAB' (as well as `ESC TAB') be handled by Emacs on
> Windows.

I must say I am surprised that it seems to work, at least sometimes.
It is not guaranteed to work, but it might work much more often than I
expect. However try this procedure:

   emacs -Q
   M-e:   (w32-register-hot-key [M-tab])
   f1-c M-tab

This starts the windows Alt-Tab application switching.

Now go back to the Emacs instance and try "f1-c M-tab" again. Now it works.

Something seems out of order here, but you are anyway right in that it
kind of works and probably is useful. But it is not guaranteed to
work.