Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 15:32:35 -0500

> I'm neither for nor against this proposal anymore, but I'd like it if
> we keep the discussion going, so here are my thoughts.

I don't really know what's the proposal anyway, so if someone can make
it clear, and with a clear justification, that would be helpful.

> 1. But there is a point to it! I may be wrong, but isn't M-f4 what
> most desktop environments, e.g. KDE and Gnome, use to close a window
> by default?

That's irrelevant: these bindings come from the UI environment (the
window-manager) and work regardless of what Emacs does (they send
a `delete' X11 event, IIRC, which Emacs handles properly by closing the
corresponding frame).
I.e. these bindings already work right in Gnome and KDE, without having
to bind M-f4 to anything inside Emacs.

> 4. No one is saying we should bind M-f4 because it is unused. It's
> just that it could have a very useful default binding for Windows
> users which just happens to be unused today.

Is M-f4 a standard binding in Windows, as it is in Gnome and KDE?
Does it normally do the same as in Gnome/KDE?
Does Emacs handle it correctly already by virtue of the key-binding
being caught before it is passed on to Emacs's usual key handling, just
as it happens in X11?

        Stefan