Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 04:13:19 +0100

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 3:42 AM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> The proposal was to bind M-f4 to save-buffers-kill-terminal or a
>> similar function on Windows installations only.
>
> I think handle-delete-frame would make more sense.

On the page Drew mentioned, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126449, it says

  Windows system key combinations
  - ALT+F4: Quit program

A couple of things to notice:
  - It looks like the window manager could handle this (but Emacs
bypasses that).
  - It is not M-f4 it is Alt+F4 which is very different.

> Maybe binding it (in w32) to handle-delete-frame would be a good way to
> implement the expected behavior, indeed.

Then bind A-f4.

>  But first, we need to know how
> it's normally implemented in standard confirming applications.

See above.