Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 00:04:22 +0100

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Just what is the real rationale behind this move?  Let's be
>> > clear, please.
>>
>> Would it be enough to say that the in the system menu there
>> is an entry "Close Alt+F4" but it does not work now because
>> Emacs breaks it?
>
> Is it enough for you?  Not for me.  Emacs "breaks" lots of MS Windows keys,
> and
> I generally don't lose much sleep over it (Zzzzzzzzzz).

Are those other keys listed as accelerators on menu entries? Are those
used since Windows 3.0 (AFAIK) and thus firmly ingrained in the muscle
memory of die-hard Windows users? How much of those keys correspond to
operations as common as closing windows?

Using Alt-F4 instead of the mouse or M-x <whatever> for killing the
current frame is quite convenient, IMO.

> What if a different window mgr does not use that key for `Close'?  Do we not
> make it the Emacs default for that platform?  Do we instead bind that
> platform's
> `Close' key by default there?

First, we are talking about Windows here. Second, on at least one
popular window mngr (KDE) Emacs does not know which key is used for
closing the window. Nor it has any saying when the user presses the
key. On KDE that key is configurable. So discussing what other window
managers do is pretty irrelevant. We are talking about Emacs not
following a commonly used convention on certain environment.

[snip]