Re: rmail-forward

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: rmail-forward
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 14:39:19 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> rmail-forward lately began to format the forwarded messages weirdly.
> It doesn't use the specially formatted lines delimiting the message,
> that it used to use before, and instead inserts some weird looking
> delimiters such as this one:

--- Begin Message ---
> It also inserts the forwarded message with all its headers, including
> the ones created by Rmail for its own purposes, like
> "X-RMAIL-ATTRIBUTES:".  Previously, I could control whether these
> headers are copied to the forwarded message by toggling their display
> (with `t') in the RMAIL buffer prior to using `f' to forward the
> message, and the default was not to copy these headers, only those
> normally shown by rmail-show-message.

> Is this a bug or a feature?  If the latter, what is its purpose?

It's a feature.  When rmail-enable-mime is non-nil, message
forwarding is also done in MIME style; i.e., the forwarding
message is embeded in message/rfc822 entity of a multipart
body.  That whole work is done by
message-forward-make-body-mime of message.el which I didn't
touch.

It seems that it'a policy of message.el to include all
headers in a forwarding message except those matching with
message-forward-ignored-headers (which currently doesn't
include X-RMAIL-* but should include).  MIME-capable MUA
(includihng rmail-mime) anyway prunes the forwarded header
accoding to it's policy (e.g. rmail-ignored-headers).

Please test to forward some mail to yourself and see how
it's shown to you by rmail.  Re-forwarding that forwarded
message generates a further nested MIME message.

By the way, I first tried to use
message-forward-rmail-make-body instead of
message-forward-make-body-mime, but it signals an error
while trying to un-prune the messsage header.  It seems that
message-forward-rmail-make-body is not yet adjusted for the
new mbox-based rmail code.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden