Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:48:34 -0500

> It sounds like the 'correct' thing to do is is to call
> let_Windows_process_it() whenever any "<foo-key> is undefined" message
> is reported.

Yes, that's another way to attack the problem.  And it would make sense.

> The question of how difficult that would be to do is another matter.

Indeed, there are several potential difficulties:
- the time when "<foo-key> is undefined" is run can be much later than
  when we received the key event from Windows (some other events may
  have been received in the mean time already, for example), so that
  might cause extra difficulties.
- when we get to "<foo-key> is undefined", the event has been remapped
  a few times, so it can be far from obvious how to turn the resulting
  Elisp event and turn it back into its original Windows event (tho,
  we normally have access to the raw (un-remapped) Elisp event, so some
  of that work is done).

A simpler solution is to dump the problem onto the user: setup
a `w32-passthrough-events' where the user can specify events that should
be passed on to Windows's standard lib rather than handled by Emacs.
But it still leaves open the question whether it should contain M-f4 or
A-f4 (or use yet-another event representation), as well as what happens
when the user hits C-x M-f4.

        Stefan