RE: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 13:49:29 -0800

> >> It sounds like the 'correct' thing to do is is to call
> >> let_Windows_process_it() whenever any "<foo-key> is
> >> undefined" message is reported.
> >
> > Yes, that's another way to attack the problem.  And it
> > would make sense.
>
> I like this idea. It is platform independent and at the same time it
> confirms to different platforms.

Doesn't sound like a good idea.  Lisp code should be able to check whether a
given key is bound and do something if not (e.g. condition-case check for
unbound error).

Dunno whether that C-code change would prevent checking whether it was bound
(hope not), but it sounds like hitting the key would automatically go to Windows
if not bound in Emacs.

I'm not claiming that's the case; just raising the question.

The best approach, regardless what default behavior is decided on (and I prefer
it to be unbound), is to let the user decide.  IOW Stefan's suggestion of
`w32-passthrough-events' (or at least `w32-register-hot-key').