RE: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:45:06 -0800

> > Why shouldn't it?
>
> Because it makes Emacs harder to use (especially for new users).

No harder than learning that C-d in Emacs is not the same as in shell, or that
C-s in Emacs is not the same as in most apps.

Emacs is not shell.  Emacs is not Windows or Gnome.  Emacs is not your average
app.

> > Should Emacs not "actively shadow" `C-c' or `C-d' or ... when
> > launched from a shell, because those keys mean somthing to
> > the shell?
>
> That is not what I meant by "shadow".

You didn't say what you meant by it.  How is it different?  You are arguing that
a key that has some action outside Emacs should necessarily have the same action
inside Emacs.  You didn't mention shell, but I did.  What's the diff?

> > Since when should Emacs simply reflect outside key bindings?
>
> The invisible Emacs. Everywhere. ;-)

Dunno what that means.  Sounds more like "Windows everywhere", to me.

> > The question is about _this_ key.
>
> Which does not prevent the discussion to be more general.

But your general arguments don't help answer the question about _this_ key.
Same thing for the general argument that because a key is unbound we should give
it a default binding.