Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: grischka
Subject: Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 13:06:10 +0100

What I really hoped to discuss where the technical difficulties. Emacs
does not currently have a way to let key binding fall back to the OS
binding. I am not sure it is trivial and I have forgotten the details.

It is nontrivial to say the least.

Unlike XEmacs, GNU Emacs is still a console application at its heart.
It wants to "read" events in a loop from an input stream until it
finds them complete as a "key-sequence".  No function seems to exist
that could deal with events that are already read.

So I guess at first you'd need to convert keyboard.c:read_key_sequence()
from procedural logic into a state machine such that it does not call
'read_key()' on its own but instead can be fed with keys one by one.
Once you have that however you can as well run the Windows backend in
the same thread and many things become much simpler ;)

--- grischka