Re: bug in 23.2.92 with anything

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bug in 23.2.92 with anything
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 07:52:48 -0500

> Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 00:23:12 +0100
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
>
> >>  >     /* When running redisplay, we play a bit fast-and-loose and allow
> >> e.g.
> >>  >        selected_frame and selected_window to be temporarily out-of-sync
> >> so
> >>  >        when we come back here via `goto retry', we need to resync
> >> because we
> >>  >        may need to run Elisp code (via prepare_menu_bars).  */
> >>  >     select_frame_for_redisplay (old_frame);
> >>  >
> >>  > It would be good to get rid of such risky code.
> >>
> >> Is there any reason why this should not select the window too?
> >
> > By "this" you mean what?  IOW, who or what should "select the window
> > too"?
>
> This code.  That is, select_frame_for_redisplay.

What would be the utility of doing so?  The redisplay will next call
redisplay_windows, which walks the entire window tree and redisplays
each one of them (temporarily selecting its buffer in the process).
How would selecting the frame's selected window help anything in this
procedure?  I won't expect selected_window to play any significant
role in the redisplay process, because it redraws all windows.