Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 19:36:52 +0100

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 7:22 PM, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > Really?  Good, in that case.  I was under the impression
>> > that simply hitting the key would mean that Windows grabs it.
>>
>> Yes, of course. What else should it do?
>
> There are 3 possibilities that have been discussed:
> 1. It is bound in Emacs. Invoke the Emacs binding.
> 2. It is not bound.  Raise an Emacs unbound error.
> 3. It is not bound.  Pass Alt-F4 through to Windows.
>
> No one has disagreed about #1.  You think that #3 is always preferable to #2
> and
> should become hard-coded behavior.

Yes, I actually do prefer #3 hard-coded instead of #2.

I would be glad if you instead of writing a lot of things clearly told
why you prefer #2 hard-coded.

> I think that the choice between #2 and #3
> should be up to the user and Emacs libraries if possible.

I can't see how both users and libraries could decide on this. If such
a choice is given it must be up to the user to decide. (I have nothing
particular against such a choice, but I can't really see the merit of
it either.)

>> No one has suggested that Alt+F4 should be hardcoded to be
>> sent to w32.
>
> Odd that you would say this just after you asked what other behavior could
> possibly exist.

Could you please be a bit more exact in your questions? We can have
more fun than arguing like this.