Bikeshedding "user choice"

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Bikeshedding "user choice"
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 12:20:09 +0900

Drew Adams writes:

 > Do I really need to state why I prefer giving users more choice?

No, you don't.  Since whether or not to give users choice is a matter
of design, it is a matter of taste.  De gustibus non est disputandum.

However, if you want to convince other people, you do.  It is far from
obvious that maximizing user choice is a good thing.  In fact, the
whole point of "automation" is to *free* the user of the need to make
choices.

Applied to the original thread, once the user has the capability of
binding a key, then she has the choice to bind it to `ignore' or
`unbound-event-error'.  So, the question is about defaults.  In
general, if Emacs (core, library, or user) hasn't bound the key, fall
back to OS if available seems like a good idea (POLA).  The additional
option to change the default fallback (yikes!) that you advocate is a
YAGNI (yes, even *you* don't *need* it!)