Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: grischka
Subject: Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:10:39 +0100

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
 > Unlike XEmacs, GNU Emacs is still a console application at its heart.
 > It wants to "read" events in a loop from an input stream until it
 > finds them complete as a "key-sequence".  No function seems to exist
 > that could deal with events that are already read.

Surely (GNU) Emacs has a way (in Lisp, even) to "unread" a keystroke?
This kind of lookahead is the most convenient way to think about input
methods, for example.

Actually I was mistaken:  XEmacs too appears to use a private queue
and a read function ("next-event").

However as opposed to GNU Emacs, XEmacs has 'dispatch_event' which
might do what I was looking for:  Handle an event synchronously and
possibly return a result.  Maybe like:

   success = dispatch_event(key_event);

Of course 'key_event' might still be different from 'key_stroke'.

Btw. one can see in XEmacs pretty obviously how the Windows GUI is run
in the same thread by the benefits of that 'dispatch_event' function.

--- grischka