Re: cannot build on w32

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: cannot build on w32
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 17:52:50 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> What about MSYS? Nowadays installing mingw+MSYS may be faster than
>> installing mingw and the required utilities (cp etc). Apparently there
>> is a nifty installer that brings to you a working gcc and MSYS with just
>> a command:
>>
>> http://mingw.org/wiki/Getting_Started
>
> I won't touch MSYS with a 3-mile stick.  It's a fork of Cygwin, and
> adds its own bugs and idiosyncrasies.  We've been through this more
> than once.

Although MSYS is not perfect, it works fine on my experience for its
purpose: running configure scripts and makefiles. It is not something
you add to your PATH. Just open a terminal window, configure&&make,
done.

Obviously some changes are required for building native Windows
executables with Emacs' scripts and makefiles, but looking at past
experience with other projects, that is simpler than maintaining a
parallel system.

No, I'm not volunteering. I know nothing about autoconf. Some time ago I
volunteered to create a new build system based on CMake, at least for
replacing the Windows one, and it was dismissed as unnecessary.