Re: Still unable to build trunk

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Still unable to build trunk
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 11:26:48 -0500

>> We decided a long time ago that it should be possible to build Emacs
>> from the VCS without autotools.
> Do you have a pointer to this discussion?

No.

> In any case, I hope you will reconsider this old decision, since the
> arguments for changing this have been well made in this thread, IMO.

I don't think we want to reconsider it for now.  But if people can
arrange Emacs's build so that it doesn't require a pre-build configure
and yet is still easy to install under something like Debian stable,
I could change my mind.  It might even be a good change if it can help
users figure out which packages need to be installed (autotools, header
files, ...).

>> While I don't like having `configure' and other auto-generated files
>> under the control of the VCS, we've learned to live with it and some
>> of those files are related to bootstrap rather than to autotools, so
>> even if we change the decision, we'll still be left with such files.
> I guess you mean ldefs-boot, cl-loaddefs etc.

Yes.

        Stefan