Re: url-retrieve-synchronously and coding

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: url-retrieve-synchronously and coding
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 11:44:21 -0500

> Unfortunately url-insert-file-contents does not decode the file as utf-8.

Hmm... the encoding-info is part of the content, so it should be linked
to the associated major mode, or something like that.
More specifically, I'd expect this to be handled just like the
coding-cookie.  So at least if you use url-handler-mode and use
`find-file-noselect', the encoding should be detected correctly.

At which level exactly should this be handled, I'm not completely sure.
But I do think that if it works for XML it should also work for other
contents which use other ways to specify the encoding
(e.g. coding-cookie, or \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}, or ...).

        Stefan