Re: url-retrieve-synchronously and coding

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: url-retrieve-synchronously and coding
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 18:29:06 +0100

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Julien Danjou <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24 2011, Lennart Borgman wrote:
>
>> It seems natural in a case like this where Content-Type is text/xml to
>> look for the specified charset in the xml content. I think
>> `url-insert' should do this. Here is a suggestion for how to do it
>> where I just have added a search for <?xml encoding=...>:
>
> Damn no, I don't think *url*-insert should parse XML, or you'll end up
> parsing a lot of file type. This is not what url is about.

url-insert already does character decoding, but only if the
information is in the mime headers.

Isn't it easier to understand and maintain if all decoding is done at
the same place? Maybe url-insert is not the right place to do any
decoding?

> What you need is another layer on top of mm (or enhance mm) with
> something like this:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (defvar mm-decoder-helper-functions
>  '(("text/xml" . 'mm-decoder-xml-helper)))

Yes, that looks like a good structure. But where exactly should this
be done? Where is multi-part messages char decoding handled?