Re: Files from gnulib

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Files from gnulib
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 00:48:12 -0800

On 01/24/2011 08:00 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> There are no special tarballs for MSDOS.

Ah, sorry, then I misunderstood.  Well, then, instead of
doing the stuff I mentioned before the tarball is created,
we can add a shell script to be run after the tarball is extracted.
For example, on MS-DOS the c++defs.h file is automatically renamed
to cxxdefs.h by the extractor, so the script can uniformly substitute
"cxxdefs.h" for "c++defs.h" in all the text files.  Hopefully
a similar idea works for all the other files with non-MS-DOS
names.

I assume that the "configure" procedure for MS-DOS is already
different, so this new script can be folded into that procedure.

> The files in m4/ still matter because you need to unpack the tarball,
> and the utility that does that won't silently overwrite files due to
> file-name clashes.

That's OK.  People can ignore those diagnostics, just as I assume
they already ignore the diagnostics for the files whose names
start with ".".  It doesn't matter whether those files are
extracted correctly, as the MS-DOS build doesn't use them.