Re: Files from gnulib

From: Bastien ROUCARIES
Subject: Re: Files from gnulib
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 23:37:08 +0100

Le mardi 25 janvier 2011 16:33:40, Eli Zaretskii a écrit :
> I think that the occasional hour or two I invest once in a few weeks
> when the DOS build becomes broken and I need to fix it is well payed
> by the benefits that brings to Emacs development in general, by
> uncovering bugs in those rare configurations.  And if it does some
> service to a niche user community while at that, what's wrong with
> that?
>
> > If something like doslfn is reliable enough
> > and not hard to install, then requiring it makes sense: then all emacs
> > developers will be freed of this onerous file-naming constraint.
>
> It's impossible for me to say if doslfn is reliable.  I never used it
> myself, nor was it ever used widely enough by DJGPP users.
>
> As for the onerous file-naming constraint, we have more than 3000
> files in the Emacs tree, and the problem is limited to just 7 or so,
> all of them recent additions.
>
> > Imposing small relatively transparent requirements on users of less
> > common systems is actually a good practice, when doing so permits
> > improvements in the development process.
>
> I'm not aware of any improvements in the development process that the
> DOS port imposes.
A quick search on google show that doslfn is used by DJGPP user.

Moreover, instead of fixing bugs in source package, it will allow a final fix
for dos. And instead of renaming and thus using your
time doing every time the same stuff, you could fix the doslfn package is
buggy. If fixed once, it will definitvly fix the 8.3 problem
(if and only if doslfn is buggy, and it does not seems according to a quick
search).

Bastien