Re: Files from gnulib

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: Files from gnulib
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:50:34 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Jim Meyering <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>> address@hidden, address@hidden
>> Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:23:51 +0100
>>
>> There would be a rule (always run at least by "make dist") that would
>> update config.bat.  You could conceivably just run that rule, which
>> would surely be very quick.  You would not have to run the full "make dist".
>
> You cannot run "make ANYTHING" before config.bat, because the latter
> edits Makefile.in files into Makefile files.

You would run it on a gnu/linux system.

>> You're presuming that people will be adding new files with conflicting
>> name, but without updating the renaming rules required for DOS.
>> That's where the automation comes in.
>
> You cannot maintain the DB or renaming automatically, unless you are
> willing to settle for meaningless file names.

Adding rename pairs would have to be done manually,
and as I said, infrequently, typically by the person who
has added the offending name into the repository.

>> That would make it the responsibility of each person adding a new
>> conflicting file to tend to this small infrequent task, not you.
>
> People don't care about this now (and I cannot and don't blame them).
> Why would they care more under this new scheme?

If the build rules (and policy) make it their concern,
and it is well enough documented, they will do it.
We're talking about only a few minutes of added work, here,
and then only infrequently.  How often do people add new
files to emacs?  Of those, how many fail the 8.3 uniqueness test?
Very few.
No big deal.

If this is the price people must pay to be rid of the 8.3
name restrictions, few will complain.