Re: Files from gnulib

From: Bastien ROUCARIES
Subject: Re: Files from gnulib
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:33:54 +0100

> > Considering your wish to continue supporting emacs on DOS,
> > I would have thought you would jump at a possible solution like this.
>
> The solution would need to be rock solid, for me to jump at it.  DJGPP
> is very stable on plain DOS, and its users expect stability.
>
> >     http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/hs_freeware/what_lfn.htm.en
> >
> > Please give it an honest try before dismissing it.
>
> It obviously has problems with protected-mode programs and
> environments, and with DOS extenders.  DJGPP programs switch the
> machine to 32-bit protected mode, so any programs that have
> difficulties with that environment are not promising.  And the fact
> that DJGPP is not mentioned as a solution for DOS programs that
> support LFN does not help to remove the cloud.

according to http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/doc/kb/kb_10.html
"The DJGPP library features transparent and automatic support for long file
names on Windows 9X(1) The DJGPP startup code queries
the system for the availability of the LFN API, and if it's available, all
low-level file-oriented primitives are automatically
switched to using the special LFN-aware functions. This run-time detection of
the LFN support means that the same executable will
run on DOS and on Windows, and will automatically support long file names when
it runs on Windows 9X"

They are a faq entry on lfn:
http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/v2faq/faq22_16.html
And it seems that lfn is supported since djgpp 2.01 so since October 19, 1996.

according to
http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0503736/php/drdoswiki/index.php?n=Main.DevelCppBeginners
It could be used under drdos and with djgpp

I agree with you about bug but they seems minor like this
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.freedos.kernel/1372
and could be fixed

doslfn is moreover well supported due to adoption of win95 even on fat12.

Therefore since 2001 (creation of doslfn), 8.3 name problem should not exist.

Instead of tackling the main problem lack of 8.3 support and use the new api,
you are stick in the 90's.

Thanks

Bastien