Re: Proposed gnulib renames

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Proposed gnulib renames
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:51:11 +0200

> From: Jim Meyering <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,  Paul Eggert <address@hidden>,
> bug-gnulib <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
> address@hidden,  Bruno Haible <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 17:36:42 +0100
>
> Here are some of the reasons to try hard to avoid 8.3 constraints
> altogether.  The following are some of the tuples of names in gnulib
> that collide in 8.3-land:

I have no doubt that there are a lot of these in gnulib.  But the
chances that Emacs will ever want to use them are slim at the moment.
I don't see any reasons to try to solve a theoretical problem which
might never come our way.  If it does come, and in these quantities,
not even I will dream of asking for such wholesale renames.  Or maybe
the DOS build will be dead by then, who knows?

So I suggest not to try to solve a problem until it is on the table.
I think what Bruno proposed is reasonable and easily maintainable, so
I would go for that.

> I would feel better about this if Eli were gung-ho
> to use something like doslfn, had tried it, but had found that there
> were some fundamentally unfixable and show-stopping flaw in its design.

Talking about some kind of add-on that all users of DOS Emacs will
have to install is a no-starter.  Whoever wants long file names in
DJGPP programs can much more easily install any version of Windows and
be done with it.  OTOH, those who do need DOS want it as plain and
un-tainted by unmaintained add-ons of dubious quality as possible.