Re: gud slowness?

From: joakim
Subject: Re: gud slowness?
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 08:35:11 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: address@hidden
>> Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 21:36:08 +0100
>>
>> I'm debugging Inkscape with gud, but its so slow as to be unusable.
>> Plain gdb debugging is not so slow.
>
> Can you give some numbers?

Ok. My machine is a fairly current core i7 laptop, Fedora x86_64 gnu/linux, 6gb
ram.

Plain gdb at a shell prompt and m-x gud-gdb are swift.

m-x gdb takes about a minute to initialize. Then I step a couple of
times through the debugger, and emacs eventually hangs. Not completely
as it still responds sluggishly to c-g. emacs continues to both slow
though.

It seems like Emacs is buzy-polling the subprocess but does it much too
quikly.

Incidently I have a similar issue with my own inkmacs.el bridge
to inkscape. Emacs is supposed to wait 10 seconds between polls, but
doesnt, so the loop is too fast, sinking the machine as a result.

--
Joakim Verona