Re: Current state of python.el in the Emacs trunk

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Current state of python.el in the Emacs trunk
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 13:35:12 -0500

> I noticed that the original author Dave Love has an updated version on his
> website, that, among other things, also supports Python 3. There is a note
> in the beginning of the file that this version is not covered by FSF
> copyright anymore. Can anybody (Dave?) shed some light on as to why there is
> such a big discrepancy between the Emacs version and Dave's version on
> his homepage?

AFAIK, the problem is that Dave decided to declare the new changes as
"not covered by his copyright assignment", in other words, expressly
forbidding us to use them.
I'm still not very clear if that's really what happened.

> Could we update the Emacs version with Dave's changes (if he agrees and the
> legal stuff is sorted out, of course)?

We'd be happy to do that if we could, yes.  We'd also be happy to have
Dave help maintain our python.el directly.

> I would also like to volunteer to work on python.el by integrating
> Dave's changes, and work on other issues.

If you can help clear the the communication between Dave and us, that
would be wonderful, yes.

> For my own benefit, it would also be nice if it supported alternative
> implementations like IronPython, which right now it does not.
> There seems to be some support for Jython but just invoking the
> IronPython interpreter in Jython mode does not work and seems
> hokey, too.

Patches welcome,

        Stefan