Re: The X window system, yanking, and pasting using the mouse

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: The X window system, yanking, and pasting using the mouse
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:41:47 -0500

Manoj Srivastava <address@hidden> writes:

>  Commands that kill text or copy it to the kill-ring (M-w, C-w, C-k,
>  etc.) also put the killed text into the clipboard (apart from the kill
>  ring). There is no way described to make them go back to just using the
>  primary selection.

This is described further on.  I've edited the entry to make this
clearer.

> **** `select-active-regions' now defaults to t.
> It also accepts a new value, `only', which means to only set the
> primary selection for temporarily active regions (usually made by
> mouse-dragging or shift-selection).
>
>         Does it mean:
> a) temporarily active regions will only set primary selection (and not
>    the clipboard), or
> b) the primary selection is only set by temporarily active regions, and
>    never else?

The latter; I've edited this to make it clearer.

>         In either case, this does not match my experience: even with
>  select-active-regions nil the primary selection is being set (perhaps
>  due to x-select-enable-primary and mouse-drag-copy-region set to t)

Mouse commands all make temporarily active regions.  What the `only'
setting distinguishes is the type of region you make with C-SPC
following by moving point away from the mark.

>         Also, the final paragraph needs to be corrected:
> *** To return to the previous behavior, where mouse commands use the
> clipboard, change `mouse-drag-copy-region' and (on X only)
> `x-select-enable-primary' to t.
>
>         s/clipboard/primary selection/

Fixed, thanks.