Re: Patch for fields of `struct buffer'

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Patch for fields of `struct buffer'
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 18:23:07 +0100

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> Here is the promised change to buffer fields.
>
> I need volunteers to complete this patch; or at least the ok on
> proceeding to temporarily break the build.  See below for details.

Just wondering how "unreadable" the resulting code becomes with
all those new macros ....

Rather than defining all the individual BUF_xxxx(buf) macros
for each field buf->xxxx field, would it be possible to factor
this out in a single accessor macro like

      B_(buf, XXXX)

If necessary, behind the scenes (by help of the proprocessor),
this could further map into a BUF_xxxx(buf) macro, but I don't
know what kind of mapping the BUF_XXXX macros are supposed to
do, so I cannot say whether it is possible or not...

Kim