Re: gnulib strftime imported into Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: gnulib strftime imported into Emacs
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 06:00:14 +0200

> Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 15:43:04 -0800
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
>
> OK, since the Windows build works with the other gnulib modules,
> it's time to try the next one on the list, namely strftime.
> I committed to the trunk the following, which migrates Emacs to use
> an up-to-date strftime.  This will let us add support for
> higher-resolution time stamps in format-time-string, among
> other things.  In the patch quoted below, I omit the automatically
> generated files.
>
> For Windows I expect that HAVE_STDBOOL_H and HAVE__BOOL should
> be 1 in config.h.  You no longer need to worry about HAVE_STRFTIME.
> Also, the build procedure needs to be modified to take into account
> the fact that strftime.c is now in lib, not in src.
>
> I don't see any major problems here, but I'm not a Windows expert.

One major problem is that the Windows build is broken again, and will
probably remain broken till the next weekend, because I don't think
I'll have time to work on this until then.  (Volunteers are welcome to
beat me to it, but the experience of the last week shows they don't.)
It also means that Tom will have to wait for yet another week with his
threading related changes, at least that's what I'm asking.

Could we please talk before making such disruptive changes in the
future?  Ideally, Windows related changes should be committed to the
repository at approximately the same time as the changes for Posix
platforms, but that's only possible if you let me see the changes
_before_ they are committed, and if we coordinate the commit to happen
when I have time to work on that.  Is such cooperation possible?