Re: Patch for fields of `struct buffer'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Patch for fields of `struct buffer'
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:22:41 -0500

> One easy one is whether a new thread should inherit thread-local
> bindings from its parent thread.  Our initial implementation did
> inherit, but later I found out that this is not common in the Lisp
> world.

> I.E., what should this display?

> (defvar var 0)
> (let ((var 1))
>   (run-in-thread (lambda () (message "%d" var))))

I think any choice is acceptable, from a semantics point of view.
Maybe one of the two choices is "superior" in some sense, but it's not
clear which, and I doubt it matters much.  So I think the option that
leads to the cleaner code (ideally, both for the current code, and for
any foreseeable alternative implementation we decide to use in some
distant future) should be preferred.

        Stefan