Re: Symbol's chain of function indirections contains a loop

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Symbol's chain of function indirections contains a loop
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 01:19:42 +0100

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 10:36 PM, Lennart Borgman
<address@hidden> wrote:

> However the troubles we have discussed here were not all. I had
> another one too which costed my some time. I am still not sure about
> the problem and the solution to it (though I am quite sure it is w32
> specific). Here it is:
>
> For some time I have seen I have seen that the subprocess to running
> the program diff in ediff hangs. I have to kill the program (I am
> using Task Manager to do this). After that Emacs recieves the correct
> info from diff and everything works as it should.
>
> So it looks like Emacs is waiting for the subprocess to finish, doing
> just the last thing whatever that might be, but something prevents it
> from finishing.
>
> I observed this with my patched Emacs and thought I would have a
> closer look after a new checkout.
>
> But then I saw that building Emacs also hanged. No CPU consumption. It
> just hanged. It looked like it waited for a subprocess too.
>
> So I searched the net and saw someone had problem with Google Desktop
> and some compiler IDE (not Emacs). He did not find out what the
> problem was but it went away when he uninstalled Google Desktop.
>
> This was along my "suspicion line" where I suspect some update to my
> antivirus software. Now I thought that Google Desktop probably used
> the file change notification API:s too so it looked to me that they
> may be doing some bad API call there.
>
> I thought that there are more reason to suspect Google Desktop than
> the antivirus software since the antivirus software is widely used
> (and optimized not to disturb which probably mean they delay looking
> at new and change files) on w32 while Google Desktop might not be that
> much used (since w32 has a built in indexer). Beside that Google seems
> to put less effort on w32. Rumors says they are not using w32 in
> house. That of course means they might have less expertise on w32
> API:s now.
>
> So I disabled Google Desktop. And then I could build Emacs.
>
> Though this does not mean I know where the problem really is. Could
> there still be some problem with the w32 subprocess calls? Do we check
> everything we can check after each call? And when it is finished?

I still get hangs when I build Emacs. Sometimes the subprocess running
Emacs hangs.

So it was probably not Google Desktop. Anyone have any idea of what it
might be? (I am disabling services one by one to try to find out, but
it is a bit time consuming. And errorprone since this an intermediate
error.)