Re: gnulib strftime imported into Emacs

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: gnulib strftime imported into Emacs
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 23:08:44 -0800

On 01/31/2011 08:05 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I understand that this is because you don't actually build on your
> feature branches, but instead merge onto the trunk first, and build
> there.

No, I never build on my copy of the trunk.  I use that copy only to
install already-tested new source code and immediately commit the
result to Savannah; if that commit fails due to a nearly-simultaneous
trunk commit by someone else, I typically just revert my copy of the
trunk and start over.

>> Mainline Emacs development shouldn't be held
>> back because of a lack of resources to port it to Windows.
>
> You could port it yourself.

No thank you.  The people who are interested in
maintaining the Windows port should do the Windows port.
The Windows port should not require mainline developers
to spend significant chunks of their time.

>>> We are using a dVCS now, so waiting with a changeset should not slow
>>> down others, nor even you yourself, with any further development.
>>
>> Yes it would, because it would cost more integration and testing time,
>> for mainline developers.  Also it would slow us down in making further
>> improvements that depend on earlier improvements.
>
> Using feature branches better should all but eliminate this
> difficulty.

I don't see how.  Waiting means a slowdown.

Anyway, as I've said before, I'm hoping that this is
not necessary, and that we don't need to use separate branches
to support Microsoft ports.