Re: Eliminating a couple of independent face definitions

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Eliminating a couple of independent face definitions
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 05:11:34 +0100

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 5:05 AM, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:
> It would be nice if almost all faces in packaged included with Emacs
> inherit from the basic or font-lock faces.  Most faces already do this.
> This way, users don't have to specify as much when they write a Custom
> theme or their own personal face customizations.
>
> I'd like to inherit-ize most of the remaining faces that don't already
> do this.  For instance, compilation-warning is currently "Orange", and
> compilation-info is "Green3"; I want to make them inherit from
> font-lock-doc-face and font-lock comment-face respectively.  (The rest
> of the compilation-mode already inherit from font-lock faces.)
>
> There are a few more similar changes here and there.  Any objection?

Yes.

It is really good to try to merge some faces, but the specific merges
you mentioned seems a bit unfortunate. The colors were obviously
chosen to fit into those used in society for "ok" and "warning". Why
not create new faces for such things? (I do not think the font-lock
faces have the same meaning tighed to them, but maybe I am wrong
there.)