Re: how having the basename of a file or directory

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: how having the basename of a file or directory
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 21:27:51 +0900

Karl Fogel writes:

 > FWIW, for me the compelling argument for a `basename' function is that
 > then M-x apropos will find it (and programmers often need it).

Both points are true, but I find it a little less than compelling.  I
use "filename" with apropos in this context.

The argument you make is similar to the arguments often made for
changing or aliasing "kill" to "cut" and "yank" to "paste", and I find
them not quite compelling, too.  Emacs is different from other
applications; "kill" and "yank" are quite a bit more general (and
useful) in Emacs than "cut" (to clipboard) and "paste" (to clipboard)
IMO.  (I guess with modern clipboards that can handle multiple
cuttings you can do the same kinds of things that you can do with
Emacs's kill-ring, but I don't know anybody who actually does, a
strong contrast to Emacs practice.)

YMMV, IMHO of course.