Re: Eliminating a couple of independent face definitions

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: Re: Eliminating a couple of independent face definitions
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 10:58:39 +0100

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> It would be nice if almost all faces in packaged included with Emacs
> inherit from the basic or font-lock faces.  Most faces already do this.
> This way, users don't have to specify as much when they write a Custom
> theme or their own personal face customizations.
>
> I'd like to inherit-ize most of the remaining faces that don't already
> do this.  For instance, compilation-warning is currently "Orange", and
> compilation-info is "Green3"; I want to make them inherit from
> font-lock-doc-face and font-lock comment-face respectively.  (The rest
> of the compilation-mode already inherit from font-lock faces.)
>
> There are a few more similar changes here and there.  Any objection?

Making two faces that were originally orange and green both orange(ish)
doesn't sound like a terribly good idea.

Similarly to my reaction to your similar proposal on the Gnus list -- I
don't think you can use the current very limited set of default font
lock faces for all the various faces out there (or "in there" in Emacs
core). Maybe you could introduce some more default faces to begin with,
from which the others could then more sensibly inherit?

  Štěpán