Re: emacs-20110131 windows binaries

From: Sean Sieger
Subject: Re: emacs-20110131 windows binaries
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 07:33:35 -0500

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:04 AM, Christoph <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2/1/2011 9:04 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
>> I can only say that "make install" does install these two programs in
>> the `bin' directory.  So it's probably some problem with preparing the
>> zip files.

Not when I did `make install' just now.

> I just tried a make dist and the zip file does not contain those two files.
> I will look at this tomorrow.
>
> It's strange that the last weekly build contained them, though.
>
> Sean, are you using make dist to create the snapshots?

Christoph, thanks for asking.  We had a similar conversation last summer
when `make dist' wasn't present in emacs-23, but instead I used  the older,
`makedist' that I copied from a version before the changes that became
make dist.  (I hope I am making sense here.)

I have continued to use makedist for emacs-23, but use make dist for the
weekly builds.

Another lacuna is the README.W32 in the pretest.  Um, I haven't had a
chance to check for it ... hold on ... yep:

1) the `makedist' command that I use to build the pretest distribution is
    looking for `README.W32'  which isn't there anymore but instead is
    in /nt as `README'.

2) regarding `make dist' in the pretest:

     c:\Users\Sean\Downloads\emacs-23.2.93\nt>make dist
     make: *** No rule to make target `dist'.  Stop.

3) the question I should have asked eight months ago, can your fine
    changes be merged into emacs-23? (Ya know what I'm saying?  I
    enjoy using make dist, thank you.)

I hope my observations make sense and help.