Re: attribute warn_unused_result

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: attribute warn_unused_result
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 01:17:30 +0100

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Paul Eggert <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 02/03/11 13:47, Lennart Borgman wrote:
>> So what is wrong here, Paul?
>
> Before, I was pretty cautious, and checked out everything
> separately, doing a complete build and "make dist" and so forth,
> before committing a change.
>
> However, I was told I was being overly conservative
> and inefficient, that this caution was getting in the way
> making it convenient to do the Windows port,
> and that it's better to just do a bzr merge
> without the final check.  So I started doing that today;
> but I broke things because I forgot to do a "bzr add"
> before the merge.
>
> Perhaps I should go back to being cautious.  :-)

My impression is that you have not been too cautious. Rather I believe
you might have underestimated the problem with complexity. This is
quite human. Experience help, but it can perhaps be best understood as
a logical/mathematical problem.

Could you please really consider the alternative of doing this things
on a separate branch?

It will be no big problem for me checking out such a branch and just
compiling it. (And it is easy providing a script for others to use
doing the same thing.)