Re: "no process" gnus bug when moving messages from nnml to imap folder

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: "no process" gnus bug when moving messages from nnml to imap folder
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 13:33:57 -0800

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 13:00:45 -0800, Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've verified that I can reproduce the error, but I'm not quite sure
> what the solution is.  The message is really corrupt (ending in a lot of
> NUL characters), and Gmail just seems to close its connection.  Does
> their IMAP server segfault?  I have no idea.
>
> Moving the same message to a Dovecot server works perfectly, so it seems
> likely that it's just another shoddy Google product.
>
> Obviously the error message in this case would be better than a
> backtrace, and I'll fix that at least.
>
> If anyone has any input on whether Gnus should try to, er, encode the
> message in some way before pushing it to Gmail, I'm all ears.

I think there are two slightly related problems at work here.  One of
them is that Gmail disconnects after we send NUL characters so we can't
move the message and we throw a backtrace.

Another is that once this happens *once* for some message, then it's no
longer possible to `B m' even other normal messages.  It seems that when
Gmail drops the connection Gnus gets 'stuck' trying to recover from the
dropped connection, or trying to use the connection that is no longer
available.